Police Officer Entrance requirements
For appointment to the Dedham Police Police Department, applicants must take and pass the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' written police examination. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Human Resources Division administers the Civil Service examination. . For more information about the examination, contact the Massachusetts Human Resources Division at 617-727-3777 or www.mass.gov/civilservice. Other requirements are listed below.
In order to receive a residency preference on the hiring list, you must be a resident of the Town of Dedham for at least one year prior to taking the civil service exam. Other requirements are listed below.
To become a police officer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen (birth or naturalized)
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma, or have a G.E.D. certificate issued by the Massachusetts Department of Education, or have served at least 3 years in the United States Armed Forces with a release or discharge under honorable conditions.
- Possess a valid Massachusetts motor vehicle operator's license
- Meet medical and physical fitness standards. Copies of the medical standards are available for review during normal business hours (8:45 am to 5:00 pm) at the Human Resources Division, One Ashburton Place (Second floor), Customer Service Center, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Not smoke. Smoking of tobacco products is prohibited as outlined by Chapter 41, Section 101A of the Massachusetts General Laws.
- Not be a convicted felon. No person who has been convicted of a felony shall be appointed as a police officer.
- Be eligible to obtain a firearms permit (license to carry firearms).
For appointment to the Dedham Police Department, applicants must:
- Take and pass the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' Civil Service Police written examination. The result of the examination will list individuals by highest passing grade to lowest passing grade. Veterans will be ranked before non-veterans and Dedham residents will be ranked before non-residents (see above). Appointments will follow the ranking on the established list when openings exist.
- Participate in an interview by the staff of the Dedham Police Department
- Pass an extensive background investigation, medical examination, psychological examination and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' Physical Abilities Test (PAT) please reference the Human Resource web site at www.mass.gov/hrd for information regarding PAT testing.
- Complete an approved Municipal Police Training Committee Recruit Academy
Once accepted to the Academy, student officers undertake a rigorous 26 week training course encompassing:
- Constitutional Law/
- Crisis Intervention/Conflict Resolution
- Physical Training
- Patrol Procedures
- Defensive Driving
- Self Defense
- Firearm Training
- First Responders Training
For updated Civil Service Examination dates, please visit www.mass.gov/civilservice
The Town of Dedham is an equal opportunity employer